Sign Permitting Costs
The minimum fee is $55.00 for a sign permit (sign 40 square feet or less). There is an additional $2.35 fee per s.f.
Temporary Banners cost $5.50 and there is no fee for non-profit groups.
Sign Permitting Process
Submit the following COMPLETED applications/forms & site plans to the Building & Zoning Office:
- Sign Permit Application including checklist on first page. (MUST include electrical contractor information, if applies)
- Site Plan (attached) Please draw a site plan/sign location plan in relation to buildings and/or lot lines and distances from those property lines and surrounding structures.
1) If requesting a storefront wall or projecting sign, show measurements of storefront and where you wish to display sign;
2) If requesting a window/door sign, please show measurements of window/door and where you wish sign to appear;
3) If requesting a temporary banner/sign, freestanding or monument sign, indicate exact location on property of where sign will be displayed (including street names/ intersection).
- Sign Construction Documents
- Elevations of Sign
- Lighting Specification Sheet (Electronic Message Boards) (if applicable)
Applications will not be accepted unless all of the following have been submitted.
- After submitting all completed forms and required documents, the proposed sign is:
- Reviewed by the building official for zoning compliance so that the location of the sign is within the setback regulations for your property;
- Reviewed by plan reviewers who will verify proper materials are used and that the City of Columbia Building Codes are enforced.
- If all requirements are met, permit is approved.
- Applicant will be informed by City staff of permit status. If approved, you can pick up the approved permit upon fee payment at the City Clerk’s Office.
- Sign construction may be started or banner may be put up.
- After construction has been completed inspections need to be scheduled.
Sign Companies submitting sign permits, please review our sign code.
- Where can I find Municipal code for signs?
- I am a sign company submitting a permit what do I need to know?
- Where can I find a map of my property and what do I need to put on it?
- Do I need a permit for Window or Door Signage?
- How much is the Sign Permit fee?
- Temporary Banners
- What inspections do I need to have done with my sign permit?
|Type of Inspection||Cost||Sign Type||Contact||Phone #|
|Footing (if necessary)||$75.00||Free Standing Monument||Building & Zoning Office||618-281-7144 ext. 105|
|Electrical Rough-in Inspection (if necessary)||$75.00||Electronic Message, Wall, Free Standing, Projecting||Building & Zoning Office||618-281-7144 ext. 105|
|Electrical Inspection (if necessary)||$75.00||Electronic Message, Wall, Free Standing, Projecting||Building & Zoning Office||618-281-7144 ext. 105|
|Building Final Inspection||$75.00||Electronic Message, Wall, Free Standing, Projecting||Building & Zoning Office||618-281-7144 ext. 105|
This is a general guide for the Building Permit Application within the City of Columbia, IL. All code requirements are too extensive to list within this guide. For specific questions or further information, please contact the BUILDING & ZONING OFFICE AT (618) 281-7144 ext. 105.