The City of Columbia owns and operates an electronic message center (EMC) located at the Department of Public Works on the southwest corner of the intersection of IL Route 3 and Sand Bank Road. The sign is for City use only for:
- Providing accurate, timely and clear information about City news, City-approved community events, municipal programs and services, public safety and emergency preparedness, weather updates and city-building initiatives to City of Columbia residents, businesses, visitors and other stakeholders;
- Increasing accessibility to local government in order to encourage greater interest and participation in local affairs;
- Promoting greater transparency in government
- Providing information which will add value to the City by raising awareness, sharing information and encouraging public involvement.
- Promoting tourism.
City information posted on the sign is strictly limited to:
- Upcoming City of Columbia public events, public meetings or workshops
- Upcoming Council and Committee meetings
- City of Columbia public service announcements, including closures and disruptions to a City facility or service
- Emergency communications
- Promotion of a city-sponsored strategic initiative or program
- International delegations to City Hall such as Sister Cities
- Public notice of general information to City residents
- Festivals and events that take place on City property and have been approved by City Council through a Special Event Permit Application.
View Electronic Message Center (EMC) Standards.